King Charles III and Prince William will be “irritated” by the thought of Prince Harry disclosing additional details about the Royal Family’s private lives in court, according to a source close to the Royal Family.
On Thursday, a senior judge concluded that the Duke of Sussex’s case against News Group Newspapers (NGN) can proceed in part.
Harry has filed a lawsuit saying that The Sun and the now-defunct News of the World used illegal ways to get information about him.
While the King and William acknowledge that Harry is now a private citizen with the ability to “do what he likes,” the royals are said to be uncomfortable with him releasing family information to secure his privacy.
A source close to the family told The Daily Beast: “Everyone in the family completely accepts that Harry is a private citizen and can do what he likes without reference to the family.
“That doesn’t mean they have to like it. Of course, they are massively irritated by the prospect of more blockbuster Harry trials but they have been expecting it; there is also the defamation case against the Mail don’t forget.
“Their goal is just to keep plugging away and not get distracted by any of it.”
Another source claimed that the Royal Family would address any future revelations Prince Harry might make in court with the same tactics they have used since his departure.
They stated that there will be “no change” and that they will not reply to any charges made by him. According to the source, the Duke and his wife, Meghan Markle, will use this approach in any future interviews or books.
The judge who heard Harry’s lawsuit also dealt a blow to the Duke by dismissing several of his claims.
The Duke had previously stated that his family had reached a “secret agreement” with the press to prevent reporters from listening in on phone calls.
The judge, however, ruled that Harry’s case had not “reached the threshold of plausibility,” noting a lack of “witness or documentary evidence.”
According to litigation lawyer Paul Britton, the Duke will now focus on the claims he is permitted to bring forward rather than risk wasting his time on appeal.
“While Harry could appeal the decision made today, the grounds for appeal would be anyone’s guess,” the Britton and Time litigator told the Daily Express.
“It is far more likely that he will leave the appeal well alone and instead focus on the other allegations he is making.”